Friday, June 5, 2009

Once you forgive all, God will forgive you

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
Luke 6: 7


Forgiveness is like being broken free from chains. When you forgive God will forgive you for whatever you done. We've all done offenses against the Lord, so forgiving all is almost a requirement for us to grow. Don't listen to the TV and how it builds up your hate, instead listen to the Lord who knows all things.

I once got into heated disagreements with several men. One of these men was an atheist. I figured I would never forgive or want to talk to either of these guys again. To me I thought what I said to them, they should have deserved. But I was wrong. The Lord opened my heart and revealed to me that as one of His children it was unrighteous of me to hold a hate grudge against anyone. It was also not right to leave some of the harsh things I said to them. At first I didn't want to talk to them and forgive because I thought it would start another fight. Yet the Lord showed me that this was the right thing to do and that it was the footsteps to His Kingdom.

Finally one day I muscled up enough courage to do it and I said to these two men that I forgive them for whatever they did to me. Not only that but I also apologized to them and asked them for forgiveness for whatever I did to them that was offensive. The result of what happened surprised even me. Originally I was expecting them to just curse me out, but instead they showed much respect and love. Even the atheist man told me he forgot about it long ago and that he wants me to be in peace and safety! It was one of the most beautiful things I ever saw.

The second gentleman who I made peace with was actually another Christian! Apparently at the time we argued, he was going through some rough spots in his life and the stress made him hurt. The letter he wrote back to me nearly made me cry. All this time here was another brother in Christ and I didn't know. I wish to this day I probed the situation further with deeper understanding. This man is now like an older brother to me. This should prove a good lesson to everyone; the man or woman whom you hold a grudge against may very well be a potential friend, ally, buddy, or even soul mate. As the Lord said, be slow to wrath, slow to anger, and quick to love.

Forgiveness can be a positive contagion as well. Imagine if your friends and neighbors saw you forgive and become friends to an enemy. Such an act would bring much glory to God and set a positive example to those who bear witness to it. They will see the power of love and forgiveness and practice it in their life as well!

Forgiveness has also brought me closer to God. Sometimes forgiveness is the hardest thing to do, but through the difficulty it is also a test. The Lord saw me overcome by forgiving everyone who has crossed me. Growing up in Newark, I steadily grew hatred for the blacks here from the constant racism I went through. It seemed as if hatred would have been a permanent etch inside my heart. But God showed me otherwise. He showed me that He had authority over all my anger and hatred and that I should give it to Him. That day I said I would finally let go and forgive; I became free. I knew then that if I could forgive the greatest of my enemies, I could forgive anyone and everyone. Everything else went into place, soon I forgave those who broke my heart, those who I ever fought with, those who ever offended me, etc, etc. Through the power of forgiveness in Jesus Christ, I was able to knock down stronghold after stronghold in my life. I also want to say this to everyone reading this: No matter what color or nationality you are, if you have accept the Lord Jesus as savior, then you are now my brother in Christ and of my spiritual family.

I was watching the testimony of one man who received several visions of Heaven and Hell. Upon his first vision of hell an angel told him that if the book were to close on his life today, he would be there in hell. The gentleman questioned why since he was such a great preacher and helper to God's kingdom. The angel replied that it was because he didn't forgive his wife and others who offended him. So it is very necessary that we all let go and forgive before we stand before the Lord.

I know what some of you are saying: “But I'm too tough to forgive. That's just not what I do”. Well to you I say think about the how Esau forgave Jacob. In the Old Testament Isaac had two sons, Esau the older and Jacob/Israel the younger. Esau was a man's man. Esau was strong, an accomplished hunter, swift, skilled with weapons, had lots of wives, and wasn't afraid to show the hair on his chest. He was the Daniel Boone and Davie Crockett of ancient times. Then there was his brother Jacob who was not as hardcore as Esau was. Jacob was well known to trick Esau out of many things. One of the things Jacob convinced Esau to do was to sell off his very birthright. However one day Jacob went too far and beguiled Esau out of the blessing that Issac gave him. Esau was furious over what Jacob did to him and said that if he ever got his hands on Jacob that he would kill him. It got so bad that their mother convinced Jacob to go into hiding less he got killed.

As years passed Jacob eventually returned to his land and to Esau his brother. What Esau did at that moment was amazing---he forgave Jacob! After all the stuff that Jacob did against him, he simply ran up and embraced his brother after all those years. And as a symbol of his love back to his brother, Jacob gave him countless flocks of herd animals to Esau. If a tough-guy like Esau can do that level of forgiveness, then so can you!

Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee; leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Matthew 5: 23-24


I want everyone to know if you've ever done any offense to me you are forgiven and if I have done any offense towards you I apologize to you. If you ever owed me the slightest red penny or largest dollar bill, it is now as if you never owed me anything. All I.O.U's in my possession are torn up. Go now and be free from any dept and offer your gifts before the altar. My only requirement is that you all make sure your name is written in the Book of Life and that your feet are inside the Lord's domain when the doors close. God keep you and bless you all forevermore.

Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
Matthew 18: 23-35

No comments:

Post a Comment